Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kids Vintage Book Review: The Plant Sitter


I love picking up vintage childrens' books! Today I am featuring and reviewing one of my fun finds: "The Plant Sitter."



"The Plant Sitter" is about a boy named Tommy who starts a plant sitting business. His parents are quite surprised when their house starts to look like a jungle! One night Tommy has a dream that the plants grow so large that the only way to water them is with a hose through the chimney. Later in the dream the walls of his house fall away and all that is left is a giant house shaped plant! What will Tommy do?

"The Plant Sitter" is written by Gene Zion and illustrated by Margaret Bloy Graham. This author/illustrater team also brought us the 'Harry the Dirty Dog' books. It was published in 1959. It is relatively hard to find (a lot less common than the 'Harry' books). According to Good Reads, unlike the 'Harry' books, which have been released upwards of 19 editions, the Plant Sitter has only two editions: one in 1959 and the second in 1976.



I think it is a fun and creative story about injenuity! The words are big, easy to read and follow along with.

 I also love the illustrations - but I may be a bit biased as I have some childhood nostalgia for the Harry the Dirty Dog books. They are in three colors: lemon yellow, cerulean blue, and grass green. Each picture has a sketched texture and fun quality to it. 

If you like vintage kids books like I do, come by my Etsy shop and peruse through what I currently have on hand. This copy of 'The Plant Sitter' is also available here for purchase or just to look at a couple more photos: The Plant Sitter at ManateesToyBox Etsy shop

No comments:

Post a Comment