Monday, September 26, 2011

Beautiful Fall Weekend - Thrifting Report

This weekend was absolutely gorgeous! I did some thrifting, went to a couple of garage sales (I was amazed to still find a few!), and then also went home to visit family. It is so nice living closer to family. For the last five years I have only been able to visit about three times a year (once in the summer, plus Thanksgiving and Christmas). It was strange but lovely to be able to visit in early fall! 

Anyway, on to the finds! I only came home with one item from a garage sale. The woman running the sale said that this Fisher-Price play stove was hers as a child, and her own kids like to play with it, but it has a bell on it which they like to ring over and over ... and over apparently.  I can see why it would lose some nostalgic appeal! 
My other finds came from two thrift stores and a Half-priced Bookstore (oddly enough!). I went to the bookstore with my mom & sister who love to go there (I used to love going too, but these days I am happy as a clam borrowing books from the public library.). I wasn't expecting to find anything interesting, but came home with a terrible vintage Star Wars book. The people in the illustrations look awful (though the vehicles look great!) and the story line is pretty boring (but not one that I had ever heard before). At the thrift stores I picked up the small blue Pyrex bowl (part of the primary colors set of 4), and a G3 My Little Pony from the birthstone line - this one happens to be December Delight. I saw some other G3 MLP, but left them as they are worth very little. The birthstone ponies at least retained some value.
At Goodwill I picked up a vintage Littlest Pet Shop board game (with all the parts and pets!!) and a Bambi scratch 'n sniff book (clearance!) in good shape that was just like one that my Grandma used to have at her house. I have been pretty nostalgic about things that I used to play with at my Grandma's house (on my Dad's side). She passed away about 10 years ago. My Grandpa remarried soon after and his new wife threw out most everything that used to be in the house (including family photos and photo slides...). Some things were saved, but not much. I can't resist picking up things that were like those that used to be in that house.
I also went to a nearby park to enjoy the nice weather with my family. There were lots of other groups there doing the same thing! Geocachers, Scouts, and a couple other groups! Busy busy! I was glad to be out, and glad that plenty of other people were also enjoying the beautiful fall.
The mums and sedum in my mom's yard are also beautiful right now:
Sigh! What a great weekend! If you are interested in hearing other people's stories about what they thrifted this weekend please check out Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday!

4 comments:

  1. I love the Fisher Price stove! It brings back memories from my childhood! Just wanted to let you know that I also do a linkup over on my blog for yard sale and thrifty finds! Come join the party if you like we'd love to have you!

    Amy
    @ Coupon Tipster

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice score on the pyrex I really want that mixing bowl set I think I saw one of those stoves at the ts but I thought it looked incomplete but I guess that is how it is

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy - thanks for the tip! I'll definitely come by to check out your blog linkup. :)

    Beckyp - The stove is definitely incomplete (unfortunately). It came with a bunch of other items according to This Old Toy: http://www.thisoldtoy.com/L_FP_Set/toy-pages/900-999/919-kitchenset.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that stove is cute. I had a full Fisher Price kitchen set from the 80's. I was always whipping up some awesome pretend gourmet meals.

    <3Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting!
    http://LetsGoThrifting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete