Monday, May 2, 2011

Mary Poppins & Barbie at the estate sale

This week I tried to cut back a lot on my thrifting/garage sale adventures. Unfortunately my apartment is very small and I do not have a lot of storage space for extra inventory. I am still working on promoting my Etsy shop so I get more traffic and more sales... so I can bring home more fun things. :) I do find a few things here and there that I become attached to and decide to keep - I have come across a couple of Gonga plushes that I can't bring myself to put up for sale.

With that said, I went to one estate sale on Saturday. They had a whole room full of great old toys, books, and games. Quite a few things were out of my price range, but I did settle on a Mary Poppins Puzzle, an old "Wonderful World of Disney" magazine, and a box of Barbie things from 1989 & 1990 - totally rad! ;)



All of a sudden I have this fascination with Disney's Mary Poppins! I listen to some Disney World Podcasts and the host of one, the WDW Radio Show always seems to be bringing it up! So I have songs like "Let's go Fly a Kite" and "Step in Time" stuck in my head all the time. My husband and I even went out on Easter to fly a kite to satisfy this strange craving of mine. (I bought a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles kite from the 1980s at a thrift store with this in mind only to find it was missing two important parts...fail.) So we had to go to the dollar store and buy an Iron Man kite instead!

I digress. So, that was why I chose that particular puzzle out of a whole stack of tray puzzles.

Moving on! The box of Barbie items included a bunch of unopened clothing sets and two play-sets with the original boxes included. Not all of the little parts were included, but I was surprised how many of them were there! I thought the picnic set was pretty funny - all Barbie, Ken and Skipper brought to the picnic was orange pop, buns and a lot of meat! No potato chips, salad etc? Nope, and there is a limited amount of meat - only three hamburgers and four hot dogs apiece OK?! Seriously, these gluttons better bring some friends to their picnic.



In closing - the items I have been gathering at sales and thrift stores are slowly making their way to my Etsy Shop: ManateesToyBox on Etsy!
I try to add something new to the shop every day!

If you are interested in hearing about other people's thrifting and garage sale adventures I highly recommend that you check out: Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday!

2 comments:

  1. I remember playing with my Barbie dolls and ALL their accessories. These finds brought back memories. I also love the puzzle. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could bring back some memories! :D

    ReplyDelete