Sunday, March 27, 2011

Brian Wildsmith's Birds

One of my cool finds of last weekend was a discarded library book. A discard yes, but a really cool discard! It is a children's book titled "Brian Wildsmith's BIRDS." (Wildsmith - what an awesome name! Maybe he picked it for himself?) From 1967, it features some fabulous art with lots of complex and interesting textures.


It doesn't have a story, but it introduces some very cool words. You've heard of a flock of geese, but what about a "wedge of swans" a siege of bitterns" or a "stare of owls"? This book is for a lover of birds and a lover of words.


I picked it up for a quarter - I figured a discarded library book would have no value so originally I was buying it for myself. When I looked it up on Amazon later though there were very few copies available and some of them up for sale were also library discards going for $7.00. So, I picked a price that was a little bit higher and plopped it into my Etsy store. When I woke up the next day I found that someone had already purchased it! Wow! I guess I wasn't the only one who thought it was beautiful and interesting. :) I'm glad that I found it and got to enjoy it for a few days and was able to pass it onto someone else.

2 comments:

  1. The book looks amazing!! I especially love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right? I kind of regret selling it. Oh well, too late now!

    ReplyDelete